birding-aus

Birding on the New England Highway

To: "Marie Tarrant" <>, "Laurie Knight" <>
Subject: Birding on the New England Highway
From: "Shirley Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 06:30:29 +1100
...and just to put my hand up for Armidale - our group outing to Gara Gorge (formerly known and still locally known as "The Blue Hold") on 7 December produced the following list of species, many of which were nesting:

Australian Wood-duck

Pacific Black Duck

Hardhead

Australasian Grebe

Great Cormorant

Little Pied Cormorant

Dusky Moorhen

Eurasian Coot

Whistling Kite

Dusky Woodswallow

Pallid Cuckoo

Fan-tailed Cuckoo

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo

Azure Kingfisher

Laughing Kookaburra

Sacred Kingfisher

Dollarbird

Little Corella

Crimson Rosella

Eastern Rosella

Red-rumped Parrot

Superb Lyrebird

Satin Bowerbird

White-throated Treecreeper

Superb Fairywren

Eastern Spinebill

Yellow-faced Honeyeater

Fuscous Honeyeater

Noisy Miner

Red Wattlebird

Scarlet Honeyeater

White-naped Honeyeater

Brown-headed Honeyeater

Noisy Friarbird

Spotted Pardalote

Striated Pardalote

White-browed Scrubwren

Buff-rumped Thornbill

Brown Thornbill

Yellow-rumped Thornbill

Yellow Thornbill

White-throated Gerygone

Grey Butcherbird

Australasian Magpie

Pied Currawong

Black-faced Cuckooshrike

White-winged Triller

Common Cicadabird

Varied Sittella

Grey Shrike-Thrush

Rufous Whistler

Olive-backed Oriole

Spangled Drongo

Willie-wagtail

Grey Fantail

Magpie-lark

Leaden Flycatcher

Restless Flycatcher

Australian Raven

Welcome Swallow

Tree Martin

Australian Reed-Warbler

Rufous Songlark

Silver-eye

European Starling

Mistletoebird

Red-browed Firetail

Double-barred Finch

There were notable absences from this list that had been seen on other occasions.

There is also a birding brochure available at the Armidale Visitor Information Centre and exellent accommodation of every variety. So, next time if you are in Armidale, look us up, and perhaps join us on the first Sunday of each month...

Regards
Shirley