birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 29 Dec 2014 08:43:50 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 28 Dec 2014.

   Sun 28 Dec Sooty Tern Richmond River, North Wall
   A juvenile Sooty Tern seen in the mouth of the Richmond River before it
   headed north along the coast.
   Hans Wohlmuth
   Latham's Snipe, Spotless Crake The Ponds (near Blacktown)
   Saw for the first time at The Ponds a Latham's Snipe as I accidentally
   flushed it beside the creek side vegetation where I also had a few
   Spotless Crakes. There were also a number of Double-barred Finches and
   also lots of Weebills about (with the later with young).
   Edwin Vella
   Sat 27 Dec Stubble Quail Kenneth Upton Reserve, Mt Druitt
   Flushed out a single Stubble Quail. Also always hear/see Golden-headed
   Cisticola here.
   L. Morgan
   Beach Stone-curlew Nambucca River
   Single bird seen on river bank at Bellwood Park picnic area
   Ivor Jones
   Freckled Duck Kiss' Lagoon Bega
   Kiss' Lagoon, is proximal to the Bega township (corner of Old Princess
   Highway and Poplar St, observed at the North-West corner of the
   lagoon). Single female duck among many Eurasian Coots. Possibly injured
   or diseased on the head (see photo)
   Megan Griffith
   Black Bittern Deepwater Park Milperra
   A female flushed from the shore of the second pond on Maxwell Ave about
   11 am. First BB I've seen locally since mid August
   David James
   Wonga Pigeon Mt Hunter NSW, Burragarong Rd over Sickles Creek
   Flushed from road side on bridge...large, plump grey and white pigeon
   Michael Miller
   Fri 26 Dec Blue-billed Duck (2), Latham's Snipe (1), Azure Kingfisher
   (2) Lake Wallace, Lithgow
   Also seen were Musk Duck (1) & Great-crested Grebe (10)
   Mark Hocking
   Little Eagle Berkshire Park Pet Cemetery
   One light morph eagle seen circling low above cemetery and slowly
   working its way north.
   Akos Lumnitzer
   Thu 25 Dec Glossy Black-Cockatoo Lower Pappinbarra
   6 GBC seen flying East in a group this morning. Not seen here for many
   months. All 6 seen again in a group the following day at 6:30pm flying
   back in a westerly direction.
   Ian Kerr
   Tue 23 Dec Banded Lapwing Cornwallis Rd, Cornwallis 1' Cell
   8 Banded Lapwings seen by the track that leads into the first paddock
   to the right of Cornwallis Rd when heading away from Windsor - one has
   a gammy leg.
   Tom Wilson
   Freckled Duck Pitt Town Lagoon
   Pair of Freckled Duck seen in NW corner of lagoon approx 7:30am. Also 1
   Australasian Shoveler, 10 Pink-eared Duck, 1 Glossy Ibis and pair of
   Sea Eagles. The lagoon is very full - waders are present but in an
   inaccessible spot in the very far NW corner (only saw them when flushed
   by something). Also at least 12 more Glossy Ibis seen in wet paddocks
   around Pitt Town Bottoms Rd.
   Tom Wilson
   Mon 22 Dec Tahiti Petrel Lord Howe Island - Balls Pyramid
   Single Tahiti Petrel flew past our boat just past half way out to Balls
   Pyramid from LHI. Turned front on towards the boat flying in the same
   direction offering a very clear view of sharp, straight demarkation
   between dark head and upper chest and white front. Seemed to have a
   more solid build than other gadfly petrels. Back and head looked black
   at sea. Rough out there and having to hang on with both hands so no
   photo.
   Martin Stokes
   Striated Heron, Pacific Baza, Azure Kingfisher Briner Bridge,
   Coldstream River near Tucabia
   Two juvenile Herons flew from Coldstream River to small creek/drain
   nearby. Adult Baza perched in Forest Red Gum near Bridge. Azure
   Kingfisher flying low over River.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Musk Lorikeet Coutts Crossing Village
   Adult pair of lorikeets with begging juvenile in our Large-leaved
   Spotted Gum. This is my first local breeding record and comes after a
   period of absence by the species.
   Greg Clancy
   Sun 21 Dec Sooty Tern Corindi Ck estuary (Red Rock)
   Beach-cast tern found by Russell.
   Russell Jago and Greg Clancy
   Sat 20 Dec Painted Honeyeater (3) & Superb Parrot (20) 9 Km west of
   Caragabal
   3 Painted Honeyeaters and 20 Superb Parrots were observed in a 2 km
   stretch of trees by the side of the road to the west of Caragabal.
   There was plenty of recently flowered mistletoe that the Painted
   Honeyeaters were feeding on and there is plenty of similar habitat on
   this stretch of road which looks good for both species.
   Rob Hynson
   European Greenfinch Eastlake Golf Course
   2 birds feeding on the ground with Superb Blue Wrens. I haven't seen
   this species near Sydney recently, but they used to turn up from time
   to time at South Maroubra, adjoining the rifle range. Also 2 or
   possibly 3 Buff-banded Rails foraging in the open in different spots on
   the golf course, and a Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo harried by Superb Blue
   Wrens at South Maroubra. [Moderator's Note: European Greenfinch are
   regular at Eastlakes in summer, disappearing in winter. This is the
   first record for the season as far as I'm aware, which is much later
   than usual. JB]
   Ted Nixon
   Fri 19 Dec Grey-fronted Honeyeater at water source Round Hill Nature
   Reserve--railway line at 33 03 09S 146 13 57E
   2 Grey-fronted Honeyeaters were the highlight of the many birds coming
   to drink at a pool of water by the railway crossing in Round Hill NR.
   Also seen coming to drink were Common Bronzewing, Mulga Parrot,
   Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Brown-headed Honeyeater, White-eared
   Honeyeater, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater and a Red-capped Robin. This was
   the only water I could find in the reserve and was very productive
   early morning and late afternoon.
   Rob Hynson
   Thu 18 Dec Ground Cuckooshrike (8) Banded Lapwing (25) Road to Round
   Hill NR from Lake Cargelligo
   8 Ground Cuckooshrikes and 25 Banded Lapwings were observed in a field
   to the left of the road from Lake Cargelligo to Round Hill NR. This
   spot is about 500 meters after the tarmac road turns into an unsealed
   road.
   Rob Hynson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list