birding-aus

Pitt Town Lagoon - 23 Dec 2014

To: "" <>
Subject: Pitt Town Lagoon - 23 Dec 2014
From: Thomas Wilson <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 10:35:35 +1100
Hi all
I thought I'd have a quick look into Pitt Town Lagoon on the morning of 23
December 2014 as I was en route to elsewhere. Highlights were a pair of
Freckled Duck seen in the NW corner of the lagoon. There were also 1
Australasian Shoveler, 10 Pink-eared Duck, 1 Glossy Ibis and a pair (adult;
juv) of White-belied Sea Eagles doing some spectacular chasing. Juv was loafing
on one of the trees on the islands and the adult came and chased it about three
times - parent with lazy teenager perhaps (or Juv bird just in the wrong place)?

The lagoon is very full and it is soggy right up to the fence on the east (Pitt
Town) side - the waders are present but in an inaccessible spot in the very far
NW corner (I only saw them when flushed by something) in what looks like a
flooded paddock (and possible outside the official boundary of the nature
reserve). I reckon if I could have accessed the NW corner from the west (Pitt
Rown Bottoms Rd) side, I could have seen them, but the likely site looks like
private property.  I tried the model aircraft field, but access from that was
blocked by bucket loads of reeds and a drainage creek (and the gate on the
other side of the creek had a sturdy padlock).  Is there anyway to access that
very NW tip of the lagoon when the water is very full?

I also at least 12 more Glossy Ibis seen in wet paddocks around Pitt Town
Bottoms Rd.

Cheers
Tom Wilson

<HR>