birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 22 Dec 2014 07:04:14 +1000
   Birdline Australian Capital Territory

   Published sightings for the week ending 21 Dec 2014.

   Sat 20 Dec Caspian Tern Lake Burley Griffin--Central Basin
   Two Caspian Terns flew east along the north shore of the central basin
   of Lake Burley Griffin at 12.25 pm.
   Martin Edvardsson
   Fri 19 Dec Little Corella Hannah Community park (Fadden)
   Roosting Site for Corellas. Number coming to roosted had grown to about
   115 or more around 8:15pm on 19/12. View video here:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSLqjIyCAg&list=UUoDMSmS5IGByojOaC3X3E
   CQ
   Ryu Callaway
   Australian White Ibis Waramanga ACT
   About 7.45 pm, a flock of white ibis circled over a timbered reserve
   immediately behind our residence, then settled for about 20 minutes in
   an old yellow box E. melliodora, amidst a roost of noisy sulphur
   crested cockatoos. 25 counted. At about 8.10 pm 22 departed in a
   north-easterly direction leaving a small number behind. First ever
   sighting of this bird in 15+ years residence in this Weston area
   suburb. By contrast, Straw necked ibis occasionally seen foraging on
   nearby grassed school yards and other open grassy areas, usually in
   cooler months.
   Doug Laing
   Channel-billed Cuckoo Bibaringa, Cotter Rd (restricted access)
   At 0815 this morning I was alerted by the unmistakable raucous call of
   a Channel-billed Cuckoo. I then observed the bird flying southeast
   towards Chapman.
   Alastair Smith
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list