birding-aus

Inaugural Norfolk Island Wildmob Birdweek

To: <>
Subject: Inaugural Norfolk Island Wildmob Birdweek
From: "Jeanie Churchward" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:16:04 +1000
Our last birding adventure for 2014 was to the Inaugural Wildmob Birdweek on
Norfolk Island from the 2nd to the 9th of December. The trip was organized
in conjunction with Derek Ball from Wildmob, Bec Christian -who runs Norfolk
Island Travel Centre and Margaret Christian. Margaret is the author of the
book "Norfolk Island..the Birds"and an Island local and she along with Derek
were our guides for the week. The week encompassed talks and presentations
(about the endangered, endemic Green Parrot), several walks and bus trips
around the Island to discover all the endemic bird fauna and also flora (if
you are interested) What Margaret, Derek and Bec don't know about Norfolk is
frankly not worth knowing. We had a night Birding experience, several
dinners which was great for getting to know your fellow birders and there
was also quite a bit of spare time included where you could do your own
thing.  We found this really beneficial as it meant we could return to some
places that we had enjoyed with the whole group or zip off to other areas
that were recommended to us by various locals. There was also two optional
trips - one to Phillip Island and a pelagic trip. These are subject to
weather conditions but well worth doing if you are able. There is lots to
see and do on Norfolk- the history and culture alone is fabulous and
extensive. Overall it was a fantastic week. Norfolk Island is such a
beautiful gem - we are very lucky that Wildmob and the people of Norfolk are
striving to preserve their unique fauna and flora. We will most definitely
be returning in the near future. If you'd like to attend the 2015  Birdweek
keep a look out in Birdlife or contact Bec at the Norfolk Island Travel
Centre.  I will be posting my Norfolk Island Bird pics on my Facebook page
in the next few days if you are interested,

Jeanie Churchward

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>