birding-aus

Swifts Nth NSW??

To: Wes Tolhurst <>
Subject: Swifts Nth NSW??
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:01:26 +1100
G'day Wes

yes Christine is correct, when watching Fork-tailed Swifts you see a pointed tail much more often than a forked tail. The forked tail does separate it from WTNT and Australian Swiftlets however.

One complication at this time of the year if you are looking for forked tails, is that the outer rectrices may be moulting and the tail might look only slightly indented rather than forked - even when it is spread.

I am still collating FTS, WTNT & Swiftlet sightings so am happy to receive any sightings that you have. Please send them directly - off list.

Happy swift watching

Prof Mike Tarburton