birding-aus

[no subject]

From: Paul Coddington <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:37:26 +1030
  Content preview:  ?voice can be used as a very reliable and easy field mark?
    This is certainly true in the US where you typically see them in flocks
during
    migration. Not so useful when I saw the bird in SA several years ago, when
    there was one dowitcher among hundreds of other noisy waders. ID then
becomes
    very challenging. [...]

 Content analysis details:   (-2.4 points, 5.0 required)

  pts rule name              description
 -0.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE     RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, no
                             trust
                             [150.101.137.141 listed in list.dnswl.org]
 -0.5 RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay
domain
 -1.9 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
=93voice can be used as a very reliable and easy field mark=94

This is certainly true in the US where you typically see them in flocks dur=
ing migration. Not so useful when I saw the bird in SA several years ago, w=
hen there was one dowitcher among hundreds of other noisy waders. ID then b=
ecomes very challenging.

Paul Coddington

On 13 Nov 2014, at 3:30 am,  wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:58:10 +1100
> From: "cgregory123 ." <>
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Long-billed Dowitcher on Lake Tutchewop
> =

> Here is an interesting article on the difficulty of distinguishing between
> the Long and Short-billed Dowitcher species and a guide on to how to go
> about it in the field.
> =

> http://www.surfbirds.com/ID%20Articles/dowitchers1005/dowitchers.html
> =

> I've picked out a couple of points the authors make.
> =

> "To make matters worse, many birders, including seasoned birders, rely on
> habitat preference as a "field mark". Not only is this an useless field
> mark during migration when both species occur side-by-side and in habitats
> that they are not "expected" to be in, but it also masks any information
> regarding local movements of dowitchers between habitats."
> =

> "One difference, as pointed out by Putnam (2005), is that Long-billeds mo=
lt
> their primaries during transit whereas Short-billeds wait until they arri=
ve
> at their wintering grounds to molt their primaries."
> =

> "The best field mark for distinguishing the two dowitcher species is voic=
e.
> Short-billed gives a "call *tututu*, a staccato series of low, musical
> notes a bit faster than but similar to those of a Lesser Yellowlegs"
> (Paulson, 1993). Long-billed typically gives a higher pitched *keek* or
> *peep* call often repeated several to numerous times in rapid succession.
> The difference in voice is regarded as a nearly fail-proof field mark, and
> over the course of our studies."
> =

> Cheers
> Chris Gregory