birding-aus

Long-billed Dowitcher update

Subject: Long-billed Dowitcher update
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 03:05:05 +1100
Hi all,

I haven't seen anything really up to date posted to b-a; most discussion
seems to have happened away from the historic channels. In summary:

- the bird's ID is now confirmed as Long-billed based on a series of
features including bill structure, plumage, and (I think) call. This
identification has been verified by at least three experts from America.

- many birders, including our carload of young birders, saw it successfully
on Tuesday, from about 8:30am onwards. When we left at 10am or so, 25 or so
people had it lined up in all manner of scopes and lenses, and it was
feeding unconcernedly, associating loosely with the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers.

- it was not seen today (Wednesday, 12 November) despite the efforts of
many birders. There is one report from 2pm on ebird, although this report
is the exception from the day, with the birding being either not present or
overlooked (personally, I would be amazed if it is the latter) for the
hours leading up to this. We have been unable to verify if anyone else saw
it at 2pm, or since.

- the lake is shallow and believed to be drying quite quickly, despite
water flowing in from the southwest. Should water levels fall, the lake is
expected to become hypersaline, and all bird will be forced to leave.
Should the dowitcher still be there, and if you are interested in making
the trip, my advice would be to do so sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all those involved in the reporting and discussion of this bird!

Cheers,
Ashwin Rudder
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list