birding-aus

Lyrebird Sex

To: Youngs FamilyMail <>, "" <>
Subject: Lyrebird Sex
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:03:52 +1100
Hi Mark,

Judging by the amount of red on the forehead and throat, the top bird looks like this year's young. The egg is laid in winter and the chick leaves the nest around October (at least in the Blue Mountains) so this bird would probably only be about a month out of the nest.

Hard to say what the bottom bird is without seeing the tail in detail but if the two were together it would likely be the mother.

Cheers,

Carol