birding-aus

Advertising on birding-aus

To: "" <>
Subject: Advertising on birding-aus
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 13:26:31 +1100
Hi all

Some months ago I removed the "no advertising" restriction and simply asked
that people who wished to advertise birding services and products are
welcome to do so, but that they should place  ADVERTISEMENT in the subject
header.

Remember that posts from new members are moderated (and some from older
members are moderated :-)   )  so we can easily filter out irrelevant ads.

The publisher of the new photographic guide contacted me to ask permission
to post, and also used the correct subject header. I'm perfectly happy with
this sort of message. In fact, I think it would be helpful for members to
have a look at the new guide and post some feedback. Additionally, the
offer of a discount for birding-aus readers is a nice gesture, and not
something I was aware of.

In the early days of the Internet (I'm one of the oldies who remembers
them) almost all public access was through universities, via services such
as AARPAnet. Administrators saw that it might be useful to expand the
Internet to include people outside the academic world, but there was an
understanding that usage should be not-for-profit. Early users like myself
remember when anyone touting services or products via email, newsgroups,
etc were sternly rebuked. In more recent tiems, services like eBay and
Paypal suggested that maybe there could be a commercial side to the
Internet after all ... and the rest, as they say, is history!

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus Owner
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list