birding-aus

Hasties Swamp Pochards and Occam's Razor

To: Rohan Clarke <>
Subject: Hasties Swamp Pochards and Occam's Razor
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:09:13 +1100
Hi Rohan,

That restriction has been easing. There has long been the post-entry avian
quarantine facility at Torrens Island, SA (due for closure). In the mid 90s a
new q/tine facility with a post entry hatchery near Melbourne and now a new PEQ
facility is being built near Melbourne (Mickleham?), with an even larger PEQ
hatchery. While Torrens Is was mainly for the poultry meat trade, the Melbourne
one was designed to allow a greater ornamental bird trade, as will the new
facility. And then there are the illegal egg imports. AQIS is pretty good at
detecting illegal egg imports, but they can't get them all.

I find the increasing  import of ornamental bird species rather disturbing.
Surely we have enough potential feral species in the country as it is.
Personally, I would ban the keeping of all exotic bird species, but,
unfortunately, that would be impossible.

> On 27 Oct 2014, at 20:27, Rohan Clarke <> wrote:
>
> Hi Carl and Nikolas,
>
> I'm reasonably confident that there are no Red-crested Pochards in captivity
> in Australia.
>
> Australia has strict importation restrictions on birds and this has greatly
> limited what captive birds have entered the country over the last 30-40
> years. As a result exotic waterfowl kept in Australian collections are pretty
> much limited to species that were established in captivity before that time.
> Off the top of my head the list is....
>
> Egyptian Goose
> Canada Goose
> Mute Swan
> Ruddy Shelduck
> New Zealand (Paradise) Shelduck
> Mandarin Duck
> Carolina Wood Duck
> New Zealand Scaup
> + various domestic forms such as Greylag Goose, Muscovy and Mallard
>
> Cheers,
> Rohan
>
> --
> Rohan Clarke