birding-aus

Bush Stone-curlews (Was: Errors in statistsic)

To: "Laurie Knight" <>, "Grahame Rogers" <>
Subject: Bush Stone-curlews (Was: Errors in statistsic)
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:09:11 +1100
Hi Laurie,

As someone who has done a little bit of work, including banding and flagging, on Bush Stone-curlews in north-east New South Wales I have often pondered your question. The prevalence of foxes is the most likely answer as these invasive predators get scarcer the further north you go. The fact that the Stone-curlews breed around humans may reflect the lack of, or low number of, foxes in these areas. There has been an apparent increase in the population of this species in northern New South Wales, in particular the Tweed and Clarence Valleys, but it is not known whether this increase is real or whether it is a result of greater observation effort. The control of foxes may also help to explain the increase as fox control has been carried out by the National Parks & Wildlife Service (as part of their Fox Threat Abatement Plans) and local councils in the area (and probably by the Local Land Services as well).

Regards
Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide