birding-aus

Hasties Swamp Pochards not seen again

To: Nikolas Haass <>
Subject: Hasties Swamp Pochards not seen again
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:44:01 +1100
Nikolas et al,

I have just rung the president of the NSW Waterfowl Breeders Assoc.
unfortunately he is at work at the moment, but his wife will ask him this
evening if northern hemisphere waterfowl switch moult season in the southern
hemisphere.

I do know that Indian Peafowl switch moult season in the southern hemisphere,
so perhaps ducks may as well.

Carl Clifford

> On 27 Oct 2014, at 11:55, Nikolas Haass <> wrote:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> Sorry, with the breeding plumage/eclipse question I was thinking of the
> moult cycle in their normal range in the Northern Hemisphere. The comment
> on captive birds was independent.
> Interesting point though. If they were kept in Australia for long enough
> would they have adapted their annual moult cycle?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nikolas
>
> Nikolas Haass | MD, PhD, FACD
> Associate Professor; Head, Experimental Melanoma Therapy Group
> President of the Australasian Society of Dermatology Research (ASDR)
>
> The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute
> Level 6 | Translational Research Institute | 37 Kent Street |
> Woolloongabba QLD 4102
>
> T: +61 (0)7 3443 7087 | M: +61 (0)424 603 579
> F: +61 (0)7 3443 6966
> E:   | W: www.di.uq.edu.au <http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>;
> http://www.di.uq.edu.au/associate-professor-nikolas-haass;
> http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/people/academics/profiles/nhaass.php;
> http://asdr.org.au/
>
> <http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>
> ...Turning scientific discoveries into better treatments…
>
> CRICOS Code 00025B
>
> This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private or
> confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, you must
> take no action based on it, nor show a copy to anyone. Kindly notify the
> sender by reply email. Opinions and information in this email which do not
> relate to the official business of The University of Queensland shall be
> understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University
>

> On 27/10/14 10:47 AM, "Alan Gillanders" <>
> wrote:

>> recognised the female if it were not for the male.'
>>
>> I presume your statement of 'In late October most adult males should be
>> in
>> breeding plumage but some may still be in eclipse,' is predicated on your
>> thinking about birds kept in Australia.
>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

>> Alan's Wildlife Tours
>> 2 Mather Road
>> Yungaburra 4884
>>
>> Phone 07 4095 3784
>> Mobile 0408 953 786
>> http://www.alanswildlifetours.com.au/

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan
>>>
>>> Alan's Wildlife Tours
>>> 2 Mather Road
>>> Yungaburra 4884
>>>
>>> Phone 07 4095 3784
>>> Mobile 0408 953 786
>>> http://www.alanswildlifetours.com.au/
>>> <HR>
>>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>>> <BR>
>>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>>> </HR>
>>

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>>

> <HR>