birding-aus

RFI - Newcastle

To: Thomas Wilson <>
Subject: RFI - Newcastle
From: Alan Stuart <>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:10:24 +1100
Tom, I understand there is repair work scheduled today for the bridge onto Ash
Island so you might not be able to get out there. A week or so ago there were
approx 100 Whiskered Terns on the main ponds plus many Red-necked Avocets and
Black-winged Stilts plus some Marsh Sandpipers.

Access to Hexham Swamp is via Woodlands Close, which is only reachable from
traveling westwards on New England Highway. There is a construction site at
first, which you need to be escorted through but the security staff are very
friendly and sometimes can give tips about what birds people have been seeing.
No one local has reported going out there for a week or so and therefore I'm
not sure what's around. There were good numbers of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers a
while ago and probably Whiskered Terns will be there too.

For other potential sites to visit, go to HBOC's website and download some
birding routes (see under Publications).

Alan Stuart

Sent from my phone

> On 23 Oct 2014, at 9:58 pm, Thomas Wilson <> wrote:
>
> Hi all
> this Saturday (25 October) I have about 3 hours free in the late afternoon
> before between dropping one of my kids off at an event and fetching them.
> I'm thinking of visiting Ash Island and/or the wader roost at Stockton Bridge
> (although I note that low tide is at 4:15pm so the roost site may be sparsely
> populated).
> A third option might be Hexham Swamp (which I have read about but have no
> idea how to access it or where to start looking if I do go there).
> Any other suggestions or particularly interesting birds around any of those
> (or other) sites?
> Cheers
> Tom Wilson
>
> <HR>