birding-aus

You Yangs. Weebill City.

To: "" <>
Subject: You Yangs. Weebill City.
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:52:36 +1100
Went against my own advice (this is usually a good idea) and went bush
birding instead of to WTP -  spent a couple of delightful hours at the
Western Plantation (You Yangs). Hardly any wind, and quite hot. Summer
birds are back! Sacred Kingfisher (at least two, one seen), a few
Bee-Eaters, Shining & Horsfields Bronze-Cuckoos, Rufous and Golden
Whistlers. Pleased to hear Brown Treecreeper after struggling to find them
here all year, and always nice to see Ruth Woodrow's Owlet-Nightjar peering
out from its hole. How long do these birds live? Ruth found it some years
ago - maybe a descendant has inherited the family home?

Parks Vic should rename this Weebill Plantation. They were everywhere, and
very vocal. Watch where you step, by the way. There was a 1.5m brown snake
(colour, not necessarily species) on the track beside the Woollamanatta
fenceline (which birders do not cross, of course).

No Sitellas, Diamond Firetails, or Black-eared Cuckoo here today, though
these are all possible - but I'm not complaining. I saw some fabulous birds
in a short visit. I hope everyone who flocked to the Ttreatment Plant had
as good a day.

Russell Woodford
Geelong
<HR>