birding-aus

A Band of Birders & Others

To: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Subject: A Band of Birders & Others
From: Ian May <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:51:57 +1100
Hi all

Adverse impacts from banding local passerines is not comparable to the destruction caused by canon netting and marking small long distant migratory waders such as Stints, Curlew Sandpiper, Red Knot or Sanderling etc etc.. with multiple combinations of large brightly coloured leg flags.

The debate should be about the main problem; serious impacts and losses caused to rare and endangered migratory birds from destructive banding practices i.e.. organised mass bird trapping using canon nets and then, leg flagging, especially multiple leg flagging and banding of many individuals. Apart from the well documented trauma from canon netting, physical injury to birds, site feeding aversion, roosting site disturbance etc etc; there are multiple hidden impacts to the subjects caused by leg flagging. Tangling, fatigue, disadvantage to feed competitively, predator attraction, impeding flight maneuverability, effect on long distant flight aerodynamics and behavior interactions; these are just a few of the questions that should be answered before any more wader leg flagging/banding is permitted

Resulting from organised "mass targeting of waders" at strategic bird migration hot spots, the affect is no longer on a small percentage of individuals; affected birds comprise a large percentage of the world population. So called ringing stations and banding sites are dotted across the planet and there appear to be no real protected areas offering any protection for waders from destructive banding practices..

Ian May
St Helens
Tasmania

Greg and Val Clancy wrote:

I, like Damien, was greatly concerned at the unsubstantiated claims made by Geoff and although I was thinking that it was better to leave sleeping dogs lie these claims could not be left unchallenged. Damien has done a great job in doing this but I know that people who have an irrational hatred for something will not be swayed by facts. However I will provide some more facts and some personal examples. To obtain an A class bird banding licence involves banding over 500 birds under the direct supervision of two A class banders. You can't band bird anywhere you want as you have to have a specific project which is not that easy to obtain. Most projects are covered by an animal care and ethics approval and the approving committees usually have a broad representation including animal rights organisations. In addition banders require a state scientific licence with strict conditions and reporting requirements. The Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme in Canberra maintains a database of all birds banded and advises members of the public of banding details when banded birds are found. Banding allows the distances moved by birds to be accurately determined as well as recoding how long they live. Prior to banding studies scientists thought that due to their high metabolic rates small birds would only be able to live for about 5 or 6 years. Banding has shown that small passerines can live as long as 18 years - I personally retrapped a White-browed Scrubwren at that age - and larger birds such as Oystercatchers have reached 30 years. The details for each species banded in Australia can be found on the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme's website. The longest distance recorded and the longest time between banding and recovery are also presented for each species. This is worth reading. The fact that we are retrapping birds many years after banding and sometimes a number of times over the years indicates that the stress of banding is minimal. An example of how relaxed birds are when being handled is while handling a honeyeater a fly landed on my hand and the bird casually reached over and snapped the fly in its bill. On another occasion a Lewin's Honeyeater that I released flopped to the ground. I was a little concerned at first but what it was dong was hopping over to a fruit of the Strangler Fig that had fallen to the ground. It ate its fill and flew off strongly a few minutes later. People who cannot handle birds with care will not get a licence to band. The welfare of the birds is always paramount in banding activities. In the rare instance that a problem arises band sizes, banding techniques etc. are reviewed. Some species are not allowed to be banded because of problems with bands.

So in summary Geoff you can see that banders don't just race around the country banding birds willy-nilly and unduly stressing birds. Banding is a heavy regulated activity that requires a great commitment from the bander who also spends hours of his/her own time and usually covers all travelling and equipment expenses because banders do care about the welfare of birds and do regularly think about the positives and negatives of their activities. It is good to know that people care about the welfare of our birds but if you don't like banding then don't participate in it but please stop trying to undermine, with unsubstantiated claims, an important activity which is contributing significantly to our knowledge of birds.

Regards
Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide