birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 13 Oct 2014 16:14:32 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 12 Oct 2014.

   Sun 12 Oct White-throated Needletail Newell Beach
   15 birds observed flying low along the coast to the south
   (Moderator:-first record for the season?).
   Doug Herrington
   Sat 11 Oct Long-billed Corella Ingham-Abergowrie road near Ashton (no
   relation) Hotel
   Four Corellas feeding on roadside weeds this morning. Two showing red
   on face and throat, two very plain white in plumage, so two adults and
   two immatures, I suppose. Can't recall ever seeing species anyway near
   Ingham, though still feral flock on Ross River at Townsville, I think?
   Tony Ashton
   Thu 9 Oct Red-necked Crake Tyto Wetlands (Ingham)
   Red-necked Crake (Rallina tricolor) feeding along edge of creek pool
   near osprey nest tree early today. My first sighting in 10 years.
   Tony Ashton
   Wed 8 Oct Carpentarian Grasswren Lady Annie Mine Road
   Observed two families of Carpentarian Grasswren 8km along Lady Annie
   Mine Road, rock pile on the right road in for 1km or less in breakaway
   country. Used to see them more on the left when we lived here some
   years ago. Even with all the mining activity now, it's still a great
   area. Birds were very confiding. Two birds on first breakaway and three
   birds on the second breakaway.
   John & Sue O'Malley
   Mon 6 Oct Latham's Snipe Orient Road, Toobanna (near Ingham) Queensland
   One snipe seen in remnant pool beside the road.
   Ian Boyd and Gil Crabtree
   Pacific Golden Plover Orient Road, Toobanna (near Ingham) Queensland
   One bird seen in a remnant pool of water on the side of the road.
   Ian Boyd and Gill Crabtree
   Sun 5 Oct Pacific Golden Plover Mungalla Station--Forrest Beach,
   Queensland
   One plover seen while spotlighting in an open paddock on the property.
   Early arrival.
   Ian Boyd and Gil Crabtree
   Sat 4 Oct Satin Flycatcher Coquette Point
   Possible female Satin Flycatcher in cottonwoods near mangroves no sign
   of male. First sighting 2014. My impression was that the cap was a
   darker grey. certainly the tail and wings were brown and her call was
   not harsh as is a Leadens'. We have a good population of Leadens here
   in winter but they left early September. So I was surprised to see this
   bird. Of course it is more likely to be a late Leaden rather than a
   straggling Satin.
   Yvonne Cunningham
   Fri 3 Oct Eastern Grass Owl Mungalla Station-Forrest Beach, Queensland
   Two Eastern Grass Owl seen while spotlighting in open paddock on the
   property. This is private property so permission must be gained before
   entering.
   Ian Boyd, Gil Crabtree and Doug Herrington
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>