birding-aus

[no subject]

To: Birding-Aus <>
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 15:28:21 +1100
  Content preview:  G?day all Just back from a successful lifer hunt for
Slender-billed
    Thornbill in the Little Desert NP, Victoria. For the record I found 3-4
together
    at -36.531389, 141.650343 a few hundred m east of the Nhill-Harrow Road.
   I had the Morcombe app with me and familiarised myself with the two calls
   therein - noting their similarity to the call of the Buff-rumped Thornbill.
    So over 2 days, whenever I was in the low heath habitat I listened for the
    calls and several times found Buff-rumps in or near areas with small islands
    of mallee surrounded by heath. This morning when I caught up with
Slender-bills
    their calls were nothing like those in the Morcombe app but matched those
    I?ve just listened to from xeno-canto and ibc.lynxeds.com. [...]

 Content analysis details:   (-2.0 points, 5.0 required)

  pts rule name              description
  0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
blocked.
                             See

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: lynxeds.com]
  0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM          Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail
provider
                             (bukoba.steve[at]gmail.com)
 -1.9 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
 -0.1 DKIM_VALID_AU          Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
author's
                             domain
 -0.1 DKIM_VALID             Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
  0.1 DKIM_SIGNED            Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not
necessarily valid
Just back from a successful lifer hunt for Slender-billed Thornbill in the =
Little Desert NP, Victoria.  For the record I found 3-4 together at -36.531=
389, 141.650343 a few hundred m east of the Nhill-Harrow Road.  I had the M=
orcombe app with me and familiarised myself with the two calls therein - no=
ting their similarity to the call of the Buff-rumped Thornbill.  So over 2 =
days, whenever I was in the low heath habitat I listened for the calls and =
several times found Buff-rumps in or near areas with small islands of malle=
e surrounded by heath.   This morning when I caught up with Slender-bills t=
heir calls were nothing like those in the Morcombe app but matched those I=
=92ve just listened to from xeno-canto and ibc.lynxeds.com.

So my question is: Would those familiar with the Slender-billed Thornbill p=
lease advise me if they ever make the calls provided in the Morcombe app - =
i.e. quite similar to those of the Buff-rumped Thornbills?  I realise there=
 are several subspecies and the calls will probably differ.

Now to see what HANZAB says.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria