birding-aus

RFI Helmeted Guineafowl in Australia

To: SeanDooley <>, 'Trevor Hampel' <>, 'Birding-Aus' <>
Subject: RFI Helmeted Guineafowl in Australia
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:12:03 +1000
Hi All.

My wife and I spent a few days on Flinders Island a couple of years ago and stayed at Partridge Farm. There were plenty of Chukar Partridges around but they were domestic and free range. What the owners said was that the dominant males drive off the young males which spread around the island somewhat until the feral cats get them. They try and eat them before they are driven off though.

I guess that is not what you wanted to hear Sean.

Saw a couple of Common Pheasants though in different locations but I couldn't get information about their origin.

Happy Birding.

John