birding-aus

Australia wide bird weeks

Subject: Australia wide bird weeks
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:54:36 +0800

I don't know of a directory for all events, but BirdLife Australia has the capacity to list all events organised by their branches. I am involved in BirdLife Western Australia, and I admit that we don't make full use of this facility. It has our regular excursions and monthly meetings listed, but we have many other events organised by our Community Education Committee, Great Western Woodlands surveys, shorebird counts, Rottnest surveys, other surveys, etc.

The National Bird Week is the last full week in October each year (Monday to Sunday). This year it is October 20th to 26th. Many BA branches are organising events, and nationally the Aussie Backyard Bird Count is being launched and this will become an annual event as part of NBW. I encourage everyone to participate in this, but more importantly the aim is to attract many members of the general public, and so it is more important if you can promote this event at any opportunity.

BirdLife Western Australia is planning an open day at our office at Bold Park in Floreat on Sunday 19th October to launch the week, and to promote our activities with walks,talks (cockatoos, Western Ground Parrot, GWW, Wonder of Birds) and a sausage sizzle is planned. There is a public walk at Herdsman Lake on Saturday 25th. The CEC has an event on the Friday. As part of the Rio Tinto Birdwatch event in the Pilbara, we will be promoting NBW and the ABBC. Our country branches are planning walks for the public.