birding-aus

Two male Satin Bowerbirds squaring off in a tree

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Two male Satin Bowerbirds squaring off in a tree
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 08:48:26 +1000
During a walk yesterday afternoon, I heard a Satin Bowerbird up a tree.
That's not at all unusual here (NSW Far South Coast) as they're resident
birds. I've heard some bower advertising calls this season, but not a lot.
In this case, it was the complicated rolling-burbling call I think of as
typical for this species.

I was surprised when I looked up to the top of the tree (bare branches
above a canopy of lower branches) to see two all black birds. At least one
was calling and hoping around - vaguely reminding me of Riflebird display,
of all things. After  a few minutes, an immature/female flew in and both
adult males flew off.

I'm guessing that this is some kind of a boundary "negotiation" behavior
between adult males. Having never seen it before, I figured I'd confirm
rather than assume.

Thanks for any comments.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list