birding-aus

French Island Report – Indian Peafowl

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: French Island Report – Indian Peafowl
From: James Mustafa <>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:41:58 +1000
In truth, the reason for my initial investigation was for whether I could add
them to my VicTwitch list. So the tassie tick isn't quite applicable in this
case. I have seen them on Rottnest Island and Tassie before though. I did
forget to add information into my write up about the generations. It seems like
there have been at minimum 4-5 generations of peafowl on the island according
to the parks Vic people.

Best

James Mustafa

0400951517
www.jamesmustafajazzorchestra.com

> On 20 Sep 2014, at 8:56 am, John Tongue <> wrote:
>
> I can't recall what the figures are, now, but I'm sure I've heard it as "So
> many years, OR so many generations"
>
> Either way, come to Tassie.  We've got tick-able Peafowl…. ;)
>
> Cheers,
> John Tongue
> Devonport, Tas.
>

>> On 20/09/2014, at 8:16 AM, Dave Torr <> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting report James. I have seen a "10 year period" mentioned before
>> when considering whether or not birds are "tickable" and I wonder what the
>> basis for this is - for some small birds this could represent 10
>> generations I guess, whereas for an Ostrich it might be barely 3
>> generations. I would personally have thought that 3 generations is a
>> reasonable proof of being wild, but this means the criteria would change
>> according to species?
>>
>> ​<>
>>

>>> Fueled by that piece of information I shot off a couple of emails to other
>>> Victorian birders who shared the common belief that it is actually quite
>>> probable, but further proof of the ten year wild status and
>>> self-sustainment policy was required.
>>>

>>> ​<>
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>