birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 1 Sep 2014 07:13:23 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 31 Aug 2014.

   Sun 31 Aug Marsh Sandpiper Yarrawonga
   A single bird seen on a drying wetland by the Boomahnoomoonah Rd. A
   good sighting locally, waders are rare in NE Victoria. This is the
   third wader species seen in the Yarrawonga area over the late week with
   a Wood Sandpiper and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers also seen.
   Michael Ramsey
   White-winged Chough, Fan-tailed Cuckoo and Laughing Kookaburra Royal
   Park, Parkville
   An immature White-winged Chough was east of Elliot Avenue (as reported
   by Rohan Long on Thursday) close to the circular bike/walking track, a
   Fan-tailed Cuckoo was in the skink grassland above Trin Warren
   Tam-boore waterhole and a Laughing Kookaburra was in and around the
   Zoo.
   Chris Lester
   Sat 30 Aug Turquoise Parrot, Masked Owl Bunyip State Park
   Five Turquoise Parrots flushed from the borrow pit at the southern end
   of Bunyip River Road, seem to becoming more common in the area. Single
   Masked Owl of note as it was in an area extensively burnt in the Black
   Saturday fires.
   Tim Bawden
   Marsh Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)--T Section Ponds
   Three Marsh Sandpiper today in Pond 4. Some Sharpies, Red-necked Stint
   and Curlew Sandpipers with good colour.
   Jen Spry
   Grey-Tailed Tattler (possible) Altona Coastal Park
   Not 100% sure about my identification- bird was partially hidden behind
   rocks and quite far away. Bird was located along Racecourse Road, to
   the left of the 'bridge' above the Kororoit Creek. Would love to hear
   about any other possible IDs for this bird.
   Nick Koutoulis
   Australasian Bittern Lark Street, Altona
   In flight above my backyard, heading south then east. I am very near to
   Truganina Swamp which is likely where it came from and looks like it
   was heading towards Kororoit Creek.
   David A Richardson
   Fri 29 Aug Glossy Ibis Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   Single bird flying west over Borrow Pit on a very foggy morning. Large
   numbers of Black-shouldered Kites, two Brolgas in sea east of Murtcain
   Outlet. Brown Quail at Beach Rd Gate. Several reports of Blue-wings in
   Western Lagoons but they hid from us.
   Dave Torr and 4 UK visitors
   Swift Parrot Gilpin Park, Brunswick
   Following everyone else's reports, found at least 10 swift parrots in
   trees near Pearson St..
   Philip Peel
   Thu 28 Aug White-winged Chough Royal Park, Parkville
   Really odd to see this bird here, but got a clear, unmistakable view.
   Single bird flew in and perched in a medium-sized tree just east of
   where MacArthur Rd crosses the tram track. Clearly saw down-curved beak
   and white-wing detail when the bird made a preening motion. Would have
   liked to have seen if there were more choughs but I occupied and
   couldn't follow it up. (Also saw female Golden Whistler in more or less
   the same spot.)
   Rohan Long
   Swift Parrot Gilpin Park, Brunswick
   At least 10 birds close to Pearson St as previously reported.
   Pete Kyne & Micha Jackson
   Wed 27 Aug Wood Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   North side of Paradise Road near Little River estuary [East of
   quarantine area]- with Dotterels. Feeding quietly and not bothered by
   very close car. Also one Glossy Ibis and many Black-shouldered Kites
   with immature plumage.
   Mal Kidson
   Tue 26 Aug Wood Sandpiper Hicks Road Wetland (Yarrawonga)
   Tipped off by Michael Ramsey waders were at this wetland and
   photographed a Wood Sandpiper late afternoon. Two Sharp-tailed
   Sandpipers also present.
   Ros King
   Little Eagle Price Park, Viewbank
   1 bird soaring high being hassled by ravens. Also, the Noisy Friarbird
   is still present below the toilet block
   Greg Cobern
   Eastern Barn Owl Forfar Rd, Hamlyn Heights
   Was attending to maintenance around my parents home at lunch time today
   when I disturbed an Eastern barn owl from roosting low in a shrub next
   to the swimming pool. It flew out and looked at me before flying into a
   large tree two houses down the street. I will never forget this unique
   experience.
   Julian Earl
   Rose Robin Woodlands Historic Park
   Located about 300 metres from the cemetery car park amongst flowering
   wattle, near the old entrance road to the hospital.
   Richard Arnold
   Little Eagle Monash University Clayton Campus
   Noisy Miner and Magpie alarm calls alerted me to the presence of a dark
   morph Little Eagle soaring over the uni carpark at 10:40am. Also
   observed were three Little Lorikeets.
   Lewis Hiller
   Rufous Songlark Fairhope (12 km N of Bairnsdale)
   Calling in paddock. Unusually early record for the season at this
   locality.
   Felicity & Chris Healey
   Mon 25 Aug White-bellied Sea Eagle Donald Aerodrome
   White-bellied Sea Eagle sighted on ground at the Donald aerodrome at 10
   a.m. this morning. It took flight after being harassed by a pair of
   magpies only to be chased by a pair of circling Wedge-tailed Eagles.
   David and Ann Dunstan
   Sun 24 Aug Dusky Woodswallow Strathtulloh Woodland
   30 - 40 Dusky Woodswallows in Strathtulloh Woodland, in Toolern
   Regional Park, beside Toolern Creek, south of Melton. Very actively
   feeding both on the ground & in the air.
   Daryl Akers
   Fri 22 Aug Freckled Ducks Coolart
   A few Freckled Duck plus plenty of Blue-billed Ducks. Also 20 or more
   Ibis (mainly Sacred Ibis) building nests, incubating eggs,raising
   chicks and quarreling, all within 20 metres of the hide
   Philip Robinson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>