birding-aus

Magpies killing other birds

To: "" <>
Subject: Magpies killing other birds
From: Sandy Gilmore <>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 02:51:54 +0000
Hello all,

In the mid 1970's adjoining an irrigation canal near Nagambie in central
Victoria I saw a Magpie literally spear a Reed Warbler in the side of the head
with its bill. The Reed Warbler had been perched on a the edge of a reed bed
adjoining the grassy bank of the irrigation canal.

A few days later in the near vicinity I saw a magpie do the same thing to an
Eastern Rosella that was pecking seeds from the ground on the grassy bank.

A case of over active territorial defence rather than a carnivorous diet I
suspect.

Cheers,

Sandy

Sandy Gilmore
Arid Zone Ecologist

Bush Heritage Australia
"Morinda" 240 Mafeking Road, Goonengerry NSW 2482.

Conservation Support Centre
Level 5, 395 Collins Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
www.bushheritage.org.au<http://www.bushheritage.org.au/>

T: +61(0)2 6684 9178
M: +61(0)427 686 985

Image.JPG]<http://www.bushheritage.org.au/>