birding-aus

Fwd: Wall-to-wall Brolgas

To: New birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Wall-to-wall Brolgas
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 21:50:20 +1000
Please see below.

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Wood
<<>>
Date: 9 August 2014 5:44:44 pm AEST
To: "<>"
<<>>,
"<>"
<<>>
Subject: Wall-to-wall Brolgas
<<>>

Hello Richard

I too was fortunate enough to see this amazing spectacle, both on the 26th &
27th of July on the way north and just yesterday (August, 8) on the return trip
south. When not congregating around the dam on the opposite (western) side of
the highway (Gregory Development Road), about 80kms north of Clermont, the
thousands of birds could be seen in the sorghum paddock immediately on the
southern side of Mazeppa NP. On both visits there were also a handful of
Australian Bustard, six or seven Brown Falcon and several Emu.

A local fella that helped me out of a fix (mentioned below) suggested that a
few weeks before there had been more than 3,000 birds present. He also
mentioned that this is the western extent of cropping land and where in that
very paddock emus often turn up first when conditions are bad (dry) inland.

This sight will be forever etched in my memory, for it was only five kilometres
further south of here that I almost had a very serious accident. I was heading
south and in the process of overtaking a car and caravan at more than 100kmh
when just as I pulled up alongside of them my vehicle suffered a blowout and
took me careering off the road and into the verge. Before too long there were
people swarming around me everywhere, all wanting to help. Apparently, it is a
notoriously bad stretch of bitumen just there.

Regards,
Michael