birding-aus

BirdLife Oz splits

Subject: BirdLife Oz splits
From: "Phil & Sue Gregory" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 10:29:52 +1000
These all stem from the BirdLife July/Aug updates, they have been dribbling out
info about what they are doing with the splits for their new Non-passerines
checklist, now published, and I finally got to see them all yesterday.
I think the Tobias criteria are flawed for cryptic species, it just can't work,
and I am astonished by the lack of emphasis on genetic data, seems to me that
because there are a few anomalies they have just abandoned the cause and
reverted to an old-style morphology based list. A pity. I favour a holistic
approach that uses genetics, morphology, behaviour, the zoogeographic situation
and of course vocalizations, and i have been working with the IOC for some
years based around this. I know Frank Gill does not like the morphology only
case, and will be fascinated to see what he does with the IOC checklist in the
light of this new one from BirdLife.

I don't have major issues with the 4 splits I posted yesterday, the only
left-field one was the Spinifex Pigeon and i wouldn't argue withe rest. They do
not list either Partridge Pigeon or the Striated Grasswren splits, I have
already adopted the latter for my Oz Checklist and actually need to go see that
Rusty Grasswren in N Queensland!

English names are as ever contentious, but Spur-winged Plover or Lapwing is
preoccupied by a long-established African species so-named, so their alternate
Black-shouldered Lapwing or Plover is actually not bad.
I will write the IOC about the potential splits, they usually list them as
pending or under consideration
Cheers
Phil

Email: