birding-aus

BirdLife Australian species splits

Subject: BirdLife Australian species splits
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 17:23:53 +0800

Phil

Thanks for the update. I understand that you are an advisor for the IOC committee which is great. Can you post the link to where you got the information? I assume somewhere on the BirdLife International web site, rather than the BirdLife Australia web site?

The four species you mention are interesting.

I assume that Black-shouldered Lapwing is the 'novaehollandiae' race of Masked Lapwing? Formerly called Spur-winged Plover but this is the name of a South African bird, so not certain what a good name would be. Don't know if Spur-winged Lapwing is taken? Southern Masked Lapwing is a bit of a mouthful. Black-shouldered is certainly descriptive. I understood that 'miles' and 'novaehollandiae' intergrade somewhere up the Queensland coast?

Rufous-bellied Spinifex Pigeon is the Pilbara race? It is certainly different, and geographically separated from the other sub species of Spinifex Pigeon. A bit of a mouthful for the name. Pilbara Pigeon? Pilbara Spinifex Pigeon? If this is split, then I thought there is probably a similar case for the two Partridge Pigeons?

I have heard a number of people suggest that 'macrotarsa' should be split from Gull-billed Tern so this doesn't surprise me. Much larger. Doesn't migrate. Breeds in Australia. .... If you hold 'affinis' and 'macrotarsa' in the hand together, it is not hard to believe they are different species.

Tasmanian Boobook also seems to make some sense. I was surprised when it was split by IOC from Southern Boobook, but my main surprise was that it was considered to be a sub species of Morepork from NZ. It does migrate to Victoria (and further?), but I understand it only breeds in Tasmania so the name would seem sensible.

From my understanding, none of these four are currently under consideration by the IOC?

You don't mention the Striated Grasswren splits? And these don't appear to be under consideration by the IOC yet?