birding-aus

Duck ID - Belgium

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Duck ID - Belgium
From: David Clark <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:50:33 +0200
After a little research into domestic duck breeds, it seems that the
distinctive dark brown and white ducks are either Blue Swedish Ducks or
Pomeranian Ducks or a combination thereof.  They are derived from Mallards as
are some of the other varieties I saw; probably Rouen and Aylesbury Ducks so
various gradations from wild Mallards to white farmyard ducks are to be
expected.  As Philip pointed out, they are not really hybrids unless other
species were used to develop the domestic strains.

Of course, there were some ducks with very strange features that could well
have been Mallard hybrids but I didn't get a close enough look at them to
hazard a guess at their ancestry.

Cheers

David

Sent from my iPad