birding-aus

List update

To: "" <>
Subject: List update
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:17:08 +1000
Hi everyone

We're still having a few issues with the mailing list server - well, the
issues are really with the host. They have a limit of 200 emails per hour,
but I haven't had a satisfactory explanation yet of what an email really is!
Some support staff say that an email sent to birding-aus = 1 email.
Most support staff say that an email sent to birding-aus = 1100 emails,
because that's how many subscribers are active.
Someone else suggested that it's a number in between, perhaps 300-350,
because each RECIPIENT mail server counts as one email (so the 226 gmail
accounts count as one email, 155 bigpond as another, etc).

When I send this message to the list, it might go straight through, or it
might be throttled to comply with the 200/hour limit. Some people will get
it instantly, and some may get it in a few hours.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST to tell us how long it took!

At present EVERYONE is moderated, so any message you send will sit in the
moderation queue until we approve it - that may take a while. It might be a
good thing that it's far too cold to go birding here - not too much to talk
about (though I did see Heathwren, Fieldwren and Emu-Wren at Anglesea today
...)

The worst case scenario is that the web hosting company I'm dealing with
may simply pull the pin and suspend my account again if we go over the
200/hour limit. The moderators have been doing a lot of research to find a
new host, so at worst birding-aus could be down for a few days. But we are
doing everything possible to get birding-aus back to normal. We've taken
the decision to keep the mailing list format because that's what makes us
different from most of the other Australian birding forums, and I firmly
believe there is still a need for an email-based discussion group.

Thanks for your patience!

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus owner