birding-aus

Ashmore October 2014

To: "" <>
Subject: Ashmore October 2014
From: John Weigel <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:59:52 +1000
Hi Chris and Jenny,

The 20 - 27 October Ashmore trip will be aboard the Flying Fish V - the vessel
that has made the trip in all recent ventures besides this April. It isn't as
big as the vessel used in April, but is a wonderfully comfortable ride all the
same, well appointed with wonderful meals and fantastic snorkel-diving between
day trips to the islands.  The nightly bird-count  debriefings led by Mike
Carter are priceless! Brief details are at:
http://kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/ashmore-reef-october-2014/ .  As Jenny
alluded, there are no guarantees of future trips of this nature, and anyone who
has yet to experience the adventure of birding the northwest seas, the islands
of Ashmore Reef and the Lacerpede Islands, I wouldn't dither. Hope to see you
in Broome in about three months' time!

John Weigel

Dear Jenny,,
We went on the Reef Prince in April 2014 to Ashmore Reef and yes, it was very
very comfortable.  But I’m not sure that they are using the same boat on the
October trip.   I would recommend that interested parties double check which
boat is going.

Cheers
Chris

Chris Melrose

phone numbers:
+61 (2)9438 3635 (Home)
+61 407 705 140 (mobile)

On 17 Jul 2014, at 2:46 pm, Jenny Spry <> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Following up on an earlier email I have just found out there are still 2
> spots left on this October's trip. If you are interested please contact
> George Swann at:
>

> If you want to see how hard the trip is going to be (smile), have a look at
> the boat on the brochure at George's website, talk about a beautiful
> looking birdwatching come tropical cruising boat:
>
> http://kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ashmore-brochure.pdf
> The brochure shows details for last April's trip. This trip is 19th to 28th
> October.
>
> Can't you just imagine sitting on that top deck as cetacean, turtles, sea
> snakes and tropical birds pass us in the sunshine? - whoops, sorry about
> that embarrassing bit of rave, I am totally biased 'cos I have done the
> trip once already and want to make sure this trip happens (smile).
>
> But there is a serious side to the trip too. The trips have been going
> every October or November since the 1990s, at least, and as George Swann
> said in an email "I think its important that we keep the trip going every
> year as it keeps Ashmore in Australian Birders mind plus we continue to
> collect data that is building into a huge data set for the Islands and the
> Browse Basin that is undergoing massive development with the oil and gas
> industry."
>
> cheers
>
> Jenny
> http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/