birding-aus

Don't assume

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: Don't assume
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:44:53 +1000
I have a similar story and although not really that humorous, it does make you
realise how we assume everyone else is on the same wavelength as us.

It was 2011, before Mt Lyndhurst was off limits to birders.

We had driven in from the north past the site to pay our fee for site admission
at the Lyndhurst pub and had spent a few hours looking round. We saw
Thick-billed Grasswren throughout the area, but the Chestnut-breasted Whiteface
were proving more time consuming.

We walked out to the front of the site and there was a gentleman walking around
not far from the rusty car - obviously this guy must be here for the birds, so
I thought it only right that I go over and give him the good oil on what we had
seen so far.

Dip doo - when I started dribbling on about Grasswrens all I got was a blank
look, birds?? I'm here to see the car mate! and with that we parted
company..........

The car was much better than what I had expected it to be, but to go all the
way out there to see it? He must have been thinking the same thing about the
birds. All a matter of perspective!!

As for the Whiteface, I had wasted all this time following up other folk's oil
and in the end I just went back to birding basics.

There were well worn tracks across the landscape, so we just followed them
slowly in the car seeking out mixed passerine foraging groups. We came across a
flock of Orange Chats and voila the Whitefaces were with them.......

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW