birding-aus

Aussie Yellow Bittern

To: Andrew Thelander <>
Subject: Aussie Yellow Bittern
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 11:48:05 +1000
Andrew,

 An excellent hypothesis. Cinnamon Bitterns can travel long distances, with
birds from Central China migrating as far as Nusa Tenggara and PNG. The idea
that they can hop over from Indonesia or PNG is not that far fetched.

What with their secretive nature and the low ratio of birders to the Km2 in
Aus, i would not be surprised if there are more CBs lurking in our northern
wetlands. Who knows, some of it's Cinnamon brethren may follow.

Carl Clifford