birding-aus

RFI - Little Bittern Records from Northern Australia & a previous live Y

To: Nathan <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI - Little Bittern Records from Northern Australia & a previous live Yellow Bittern Record
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:38:32 +1000
Hi Nathan & everyone
In January between the 4th & 7th of 1982, a group of us, including Chris
Corben, David Eades, Anita Smyth, & I discovered several Little (now Australian
Little or Black-backed) Bitterns at Kunanurra, Lily Creek Lagoon. There were
quite a few birds in the reeds there, & they were very active, calling & flying
in & out of reeds. I would have liked nothing better than for them to be Yellow
(& we did look!), however at least some of them (which is written in my notes)
had black backs, so were male Aust Little. The black mantle would preclude
Yellow Bittern. We did see birds with brown mantles too, most likely female
Aust Little Bitterns, but I guess from what I've written you can't rule out
Yellow. There is no doubt that we had male Aust Little Bitterns though.-Kevin
Bartram