birding-aus

Duck

To: "'Stephen Ambrose'" <>, "'John Harris'" <>, "'Mike Carter'" <>
Subject: Duck
From: "Mandy Bamford" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 00:17:31 +0800
Hi All

Hmmm, 1984?... it doesn't seem that long ago!

Over in WA we have no wild-type Mallards, so the few odd ducks that appear
on lakes here are either:
        1 - purebred or crossbred (mongrel) domestic Mallards, many of which
have eye-stripes
        2 - domestic Mallard x Muscovy hybrids (which are quite variable,
sometimes have red around the beak but not always, have a wedge-shaped
tail... and are sterile), or
        3 - domestic Mallard x Pacific Black Duck hybrids.  The domestic
Mallards released on lakes are mostly males, so hybrids are almost always
crosses between Male domestic Mallard and female Pacific Black Duck and are
fertile.  They may or may not fly but tend to be fairly sedentary.  Orange
legs are certainly common in Mallard x Black Duck hybrids that I've seen
over here.

These photos look to me like a crossbred domestic Mallard, although it could
be a Mallard x Muscovy hybrid - how did it move?   Was the tail fairly stiff
and wedge-shaped?

I'll be interested to hear what Patrick Guay from Vic Uni thinks.

Cheers

Mandy

Mandy Bamford
Perth WA