birding-aus

Pacific Black Duck - Mallard hybrids

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: Pacific Black Duck - Mallard hybrids
From: David Clark <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 18:18:52 +1000
Frith, in "Waterfowl in Australia", states that Mallards and Mallard hybrids
are common in city parks and gardens, some country towns and occasionally in
the wild.  While Mallards haven't acclimatised to the same extent as they have
in New Zealand, Frith was concerned that the Pacific Black Duck would cease to
exist as a species and would be replaced by Mallards and hybrids.

Almost 50 years after Frith expressed those concerns, Mallards and hybrids
still seem to be restricted to cities and some country towns.  Perhaps their
more sedentary nature and Australia's variable climate have combined to prevent
wider distribution.

Cheers

David

Sent from my iPad