birding-aus

Scythebill bird list software

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Scythebill bird list software
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:52:48 +1000
G’day all

I’ve been using Wings on my Mac for several years and found it excellent.
Unfortunately it is not being updated often (last was April 2013) so the
taxonomy is falling behind.  I recently switched to Scythebill as described
below.  It is not as polished as Wings but is up to the minute with IOC and
Clements taxonomy and has all the recognised subspecies.  The author responds
quickly to questions and suggestions.  I store my record file in Dropbox and
can access it seamlessly from my Mac or a Windows computer.  Like Wings it is
free.

Give it a try!

For the record IOC gives me more ticks than does Clements.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic

___________________________________

Carl Clifford wrote on 3 Oct 2013

Yet another bird list program has appeared, Scythebill. It is a cross-platform
program, running on Mac, Linux, and Windows. Some of the features are:-

Full Clements checklist, including all subspecies and groups (courtesy of the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology)
And IOC World Bird List support, including (almost) all subspecies. Flip
between the taxonomies instantly - no need to choose just one.
Fast species entry ("make up your own banding code"), including over 7000
alternate names.
Fast reports - instant processing of hundreds of thousands of records.
Simple, clean UI.
Export to EBird, and import from Avisys or eBird.
Arbitrary location hierarchies (e.g., if you want to keep track of "Lower
Willows" at the "New Willows" on "Point Reyes" in "Marin County" in
"California", go for it.)
Enter hybrids and "sp."s (Willow/Alder Flycatcher, for example).
Further details can be found at http://code.google.com/p/scythebill-birdlist/

I have not tried Scythebill yet, but will certainly investigate it further,
when I get the time.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford