birding-aus

Fan-tailed Cuckoo migration in southern Victoria

To: Guy Gibbon <>, 'Peter Ewin' <>, 'Sonja Ross' <>, 'Birding Aus' <>
Subject: Fan-tailed Cuckoo migration in southern Victoria
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 22:04:29 +1000
HI people!
In my experience Fantailed Cuckoo are definitely migrants with most heading
north for the winter. In spring & autumn many of them fly into house windows
etc., as shown by upsurge of museum specimens & visitations to public gardens
like Alma Park in St.Kilda. A number however also stay & sometimes they can be
heard in the middle of winter. Much of this I think is due to conditions, I've
seen them in places with caterpillar infestations & if it is a good year for
caterpillars many of them stay behind. So partial migrant I suppose would be
the closest term.-Kevin Bartram