birding-aus

American Golden Plovers Are Smuggling Plants into Australia

To: "'Carl Clifford'" <>, "'robert morris'" <>
Subject: American Golden Plovers Are Smuggling Plants into Australia
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:19:07 +1000
There's research at the University of Western Australia into the population
genetics of the Waterwheel Plant (Aldrovandra vesiculosa) (Family Droseraceae).
This is an aquatic plant species which usually free-floats in near-coastal
shallow freshwater lagoons that are rich in organic matter.  It has a
widespread distribution in western Europe, but populations also occur as
isolates in Africa, Asia and Australia.  In Australia, it is found mostly in
the northern part of the continent, but there are also populations in
South-western Australia and NSW (lagoons in the Moruya area on the south coast,
from the Evans Head area on the north coast and from north of Guyra on the New
England Tablelands).

It's possible that the Waterwheel Plant once had a widespread global
distribution which has since contracted and fragmented.  One other possibility
is that this species has been carried to various parts of the world by vectors,
possibly by migratory shorebirds (waders and/or freshwater terns). The genetics
study is helping to determine the relatedness of Waterwheel Plant populations
in different parts of the world and thus provide clues to its evolution and
historical changes in distribution.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW