birding-aus

Priscilla and birds

To: Russ <>
Subject: Priscilla and birds
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 20:37:50 +0930
How could you not think of Priscilla, one of my favourite films!

My daughter, Crystal Love, is a proud transexual.

Some years ago three Sydney birders asked if I could arrange a trip to the Tiwi
Islands.  Crystal offered to guide them.  I sounded the men out; they seemed
very nice, not at all the  types who would give her a hard time.  I gather that
they enjoyed themselves thoroughly.

Then in Kakadu a few years ago, while guiding a Jewish-American couple I
stopped at Cooinda for dinner.  Unbeknown to me the Hepatitis and Aids Council
was holding a retreat.  Suddenly Crystal materialised and bursting into tears
threw herself in my arms, and then proceeded to tell the couple all about our
relationship.
This wonderful pair didn’t bat an eyelid on meeting my huge, 1.8 m. Aboriginal
daughter, and indeed insisted that we stay to watch the entertainment later
that night.  I greeted this announcement with some trepidation.  Gene had been
telling me of the enjoyment he felt in reading the Torah in the synagogue.  Did
he know what he was in for?

I need not have worried.  Gene and Kathy were in stitches as a parade of
trannies danced around wearing costumes of sequins and gauze, watched proudly
by their relatives, traditional owners of Kakadu and me.  One even sat on
Gene's lap!    They were a great couple!  Oh, and we saw some nice birds as
well.

And just in case no one believes me, I’ve witnesses, and photos!

Denise

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841

PhD candidate
Vice-chair Wildlife Tourism Australia

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Founding Member: Australian Federation of Graduate Women Northern Territory
043 8650 835