birding-aus

A good bird day

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: A good bird day
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:26:51 +1000
Listened to OffTrack on ABC RN, 1pm, Saturday with David Lindenmeyer talking in
the Mountain Ash forest in Vic.
Lots of interesting stuff on the birds, possums and gliders as well as how they
are faring with logging and fires in this nicely presented show.

Repeated on Thursday at 2pm.
You can download the podcast.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/offtrack/a-wild-night-in-the-forest/5477360
Also, took an hour drive around Brooms Head in the morning in heavy overcast
and wet conditions.
Apart from the usual suspects, the following were notable.
In the Redcliff area of Yuraygir np, there were a lot of very well-coloured
Redback and Superb Fairywrens and Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters.  Wonder if the
nearby hazard reduction burn a few days before might have led to an increase in
numbers.  Two emu were seen, which was good as we have have had few sightings
in the last 10 months.  One wet Hobby landed quite close as we left that part
of the national park, and there could have been a second.
Back at Brooms Head, we had a Striated Heron at L. Cakora, a pair of
Buff-banded Rail and 6 Sooty Oyster Catchers on the rocks at the lagoon.
Unusually, no Brown Quail were seen.
The Hobbies are interesting.  There has been a pair around the village (and
could be the ones we saw in the np) for a while, and a few days ago we watched
them performing with one going well up and doing swooping dives down to the
lower one.

Peter and Bev Morgan

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.