birding-aus

Birding in Malaysia

To: brendan cook <>
Subject: Birding in Malaysia
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 23:50:47 +1000
My family spent a few days on Langkawi in April. The birding there is
sensational, and it's one of the few great birding places where your
non-birding partner is catered for even better!

We stayed at The Andaman on the north west coast. It's a little out of the
way from the villages and shops on the busy part of the island, but that's
what makes it such a great spot for birding. I saw two of the three
resident hornbill species near the resort's pool complex, plus a roosting
Brown Hawk-Owl right above the pool!

The resort runs all sorts of walks, from free morning and evening nature
walks to paid mangrove walks or island sailing trips. I did a guided bird
tour: because I was the only guest on the trip, I had to pay the solo fee
of RM500 (about $180) but it was incredibly good value. The guides are from
an eco-tourism group called Junglewalla (they have a website) and I think
are all marine biology or enviro science graduates. They are young, and
quite good with regular local birds, and best of all they provide transport
for the trip: what I thought was going to be a 3-4 hour outing ended up
over 5 hours, and we went looking for my target birds. I just turned up
with a list, and they planned the morning from there. We visited three
exceptionally good sites, ones I never would have found by myself. This was
just about the best hotel-organised trip I've ever been on.

For full-on individual guiding, I'd strongly recommend Indera Yangbest, a
wildlife photographer who has an exceptional knowledge of all the local
wildlife - birds are his specialty, and he can replicate most of the calls
himself. I was entertained by his dialogue with a Sunda Scops-Owl in the
middle of the night half way up the Gunung Raya road. And very impressed
when he found us a Slow Lorus (hard to see primate).

I can provide further details for anyone who wants to know more.

Russell