birding-aus

Rare birds at Ashmore Reef in April 2014

Subject: Rare birds at Ashmore Reef in April 2014
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 22:33:18 +1000

Hi All,

A group of us returned from a seabird and shorebird research trip to Ashmore Reef at the end of April. Atypical for April, we experienced relatively hot settled weather when usually the monsoonal trough is active in the region at this time of year. Despite the settled weather we still managed to log a few nice rarities whilst at Ashmore and elsewhere in the Browse Basin off north-west Western Australia. I've posted images of most of these rarities at http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/vagrants

Best were:

Yellow-browed Warbler – A single observed on Ashmore on just one morning. Following on from one in March at Ashmore (on the Kimberley Birdwatching trip) this is the third record for Australia.

Pallas Grasshopper Warbler – A single observed on Ashmore on the same morning as the Yellow-browed Warbler. The third record for Australia. Unlike previous records we obtained some cracking views of this individual.

Tiger Shrike – Two different birds; an immature present for a few days at Ashmore, then after it had departed an adult female at the same site for just one afternoon. These are about the 6th and 7th records for Australia.

Red-throated Pipit – an adult in breeding plumage that flew in, stayed for less than 5 minutes then flew off the island to the north (in company with a second unidentified pipit!!!). A long awaited first record for Ashmore Reef (and about the 5th record for Australia).

Grey Wagtail - a nice adult male in near full breeding plumage on two days at Ashmore.

Oriental Reed-Warbler - a single seen briefly and poorly on one evening at Ashmore Reef.

White-breasted Waterhen - An adult on Ashmore Reef for 1 day was the second record for the reef and the second Australian record away from Christmas and Cocos Islands where there are established populations.

Jouanin's Petrel – More than 10 individuals logged at sea in the vicinity of Ashmore Reef was our highest count ever.

Abbott's Booby – A single bird south of Browse Island was our first record in waters less than 200 m deep. We've now logged more than 10 in the basin across all trips but all previous records have been of birds in pelagic (>200m) waters.

Kimberley Birdwatching will be running a birding tour to Ashmore for 8 days in late October 2014. As well as providing some exciting birding opportunities these trips also contribute data to the ongoing bird monitoring program at the reef.

For details visit http://www.kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/

Cheers,

Rohan Clarke

--