birding-aus

Partridge Pigeon possibly under threat

To: Denise Goodfellow <>, "" <>
Subject: Partridge Pigeon possibly under threat
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 08:31:17 +1030
hi Denise,

yes, it is a real shame to hear about the continued & steady decline of these
gorgeous birds in your region...I've noticed it myself just between 2 Top End
visits in 2005 & again in 2008 - in 2008 they were much much harder to locate
in Kakadu NP than they'd been just a few years prior...

i believe the western race yellow-faced blauwii  is also struggling to hang in
there...in late 2008 I came across some 50-60 birds in one tight flock getting
ready to roost at Surveyor's Pool on the Mitchell Plateau - the next morning
George Swann told me that that was a very remarkable record & that he hadn't
heard of such numbers of this race for many many years...!!

a similar plight, which has been well documented, has hit the southern race of
the very closely related Squatter Pigeon, especially south of about Townsville
down to far northern NSW...

has anybody else noticed decreases in numbers of blauwii  Partidge Pigeon out
there or does any one else have anything to add...??

cheers,
martin cachard,
cairns
0428 782 808