birding-aus

Ninox Call ID...

Subject: Ninox Call ID...
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 02:23:13 -0500
Just a precautionary note!

Many years ago, I was with other birders camping in the Grampians of Victoria. As we were about to set up camp, we heard what appeared to be a Barking Owl, calling repeatedly. It sounded totally convincing to all of us and we had plenty of experience with Barking Owls elsewhere, so we were quite excited about finding one in the Grampians.

But after calling for some minutes, it started to gradually morph its call from the classic "wook-wook" of a Barking Owl into the classic "Whoo-hoo" of a Powerful. The morphing was quite gradual, so it went through several stages of intermediacy before settling down into typical Powerful calls.

We were able to track it down and confirm it visually as a Powerful Owl.

This left a lasting impression on me, as the earlier calls were completely convincing as a Barking Owl. I never would have thought the two species could be confused. I ended up realising there is always some doubt about audio records, even of distinctive birds.

Cheers, Chris.