birding-aus

Pacific Baza

To: "" <>
Subject: Pacific Baza
From: Dominic Funnell <>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 04:54:39 +0100 (BST)
Here in Yorkeys (suburb north of Cairns) the local Pacific Baza get very vocal
and visible in the autumn / winter. Over the last couple of days I have been
watching what I assume is their display flight; a single bird making a very
undulating flight with the occasional roll but on about four occasions I have
watched a bird wing clapping in a manner  similar to European Honey Buzzards.
It goes up reasonably high and then descends in broad circles "clapping" its
wings together above its body. Is this usual behavior as I can find no
reference to it in my limited resources.
Dom