birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 28 Apr 2014 03:02:16 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Apr 2014.

Sun 27 Apr Sanderling, Hooded Plover, Double-banded Plover Thirteenth Beach, Barwon Heads (Breamlea end)
Pair of Hooded Plovers as well as a pair of Sanderling amongst Stints and Plovers (Red-capped and Double banded) at "Blue Rocks" at the Breamlea end of Thirteenth Beach, Barwon Heads.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Freckled Duck Karkarook Park, Heatherton VIC
Seen at 2.15pm on the ponds alongside Warrigal Rd, in the middle of pond with Chestnut Teal. We were looking for the Little Bittern which we didn't see, but the Freckled Duck was a great find! Photo by Paul Hackett
Liz & Paul Hackett

Brush Bronzewing, Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Following on from Dave's report yesterday, a fine young Brush Bronzewing seen on track near Austin's Rd. Also a Pectoral SP in BP and Glossy Ibis at Paradise Rd lagoon.
Steve Davidson

Sat 26 Apr Freckled Duck Bendigo: Kennington Reservoir
7 feeding in shallows near hide
Andrew Corrick

Brush Bronzewing, Long-toed Stint, Banded Stilt Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Immature Bronzewing on Austin Rd - no sign of paleness on throat or forehead so assumed Brush. Long-toed Stint in T-section Quite a few Banded Stilt in Summer Lagoon - first I have seen for a while at the WTP
Dave Torr, Alastair Henderson

Swift Parrot Muckleford
Heard approx. 8/12 swifties in my garden this morning.
Debbie Worland

Fri 25 Apr Little Eagle Kensington
A Little Eagle seen this afternoon in Kensington. First one seen for a couple of years, used to be a more common occurrence
Anne Palamountain

Thu 24 Apr Australian Little Bittern Karkarook Park
Found at about 5.45pm on the north side of the small pond by Anthea Stubbs. In view for several minutes at edge of reeds, then flew across the pond to disappear in reeds at southwestern corner.
Michael Kearns, Anthea Stubbs and Steve Edwards

Cape Barren Geese Somerville
14 Cape Barren Geese observed just to north of Bungower rd at the far western end beyond Tyabb Tooradin rd in paddocks. Private property but easily seen from rd with bin's. Approximate location 38°14'16.8"S 145°14'40.3"E Largest flock of CBG I have seen in area, usually sighted around here in single pairs.
James Peake

Wed 23 Apr Brown Quail Edithvale-Seaford Wetlands (Seaford)
Party of 6-8 on track in north west corner, also 20+ Fairy Martins
Anthea Stubbs

Swift Parrot Yellow Gums Estate (Ocean Grove)
Around 10-15 Swifties still here, feeding along Goandra Drive just west of where Yellow Gum Drive comes off. A couple looked to be younger, plumage didn't look to be as developed as the other birds.
Owen Lishmund

Sooty Oystercatcher x 40 + Point Norman Inverloch
Not an unusual bird here, Flat Rocks always produces half a dozen or so but this many altogether on a small sand spit east of Point Norman seems out of the ordinary.
Deb Crosby

Tue 22 Apr Hooded Plover Flinders Foreshore
2 adult and 3 juvenile birds in amongst Double Banded Plover, Stints and Turnstones. Picture taken through scope with phone, not the best quality, third juvenile was just to the right of picture.
Keith Caldecott and Brian Thomas

Mon 21 Apr Flame Robin Edithvale-Seaford Wetlands (Seaford)
After observing a reading of other reports around Greater Melbourne went to see if robins had returned to Seaford yet. Found single pair 1 male and 1 brown bird on eastern side of wetland. Hanging around and on fenceline near to the entrance of the E-W track that divides the wetland.
James Peake

White-browed Treecreeper, Gilbert's Whistler, Rufous Fieldwren Murray-Sunset National Park
At Mallanbool Reserve, there were 10 White-browed Treecreepers and a pair of Gilbert's Whistlers. On Raak Plain, there were 4 Rufous Fieldwrens.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Long-toed Stint-2, Spotted Harrier, Common Bronzewing etc. Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Long-toed Stint, 2 seen together today in pond 5. Easily seen, got even better photos today. 2 Spotted Harriers seen over fields south of T-Section lagoons, 1 adult with a juvenile, wondering they could have bred here? Sharp-tailed Sandpipers still around, about 3 seen along Paradise Rd, & 1 seen at T-Section. 17 Blue-winged Parrots seen at Austin Rd. White-winged Black Terns still present with a few Whiskered, Little & Fairy Terns feeding on south Lake Borrie Lagoon. ! adult male Common Bronzewing seen east of 85W pond on South Rd next to trees, first I've seen here.
Kevin Bartram, Scott Baker & Debbie Lustig

Swift Parrot Pontings Lane, Bailieston
40 Swift Parrots feeding in old Grey Box. The birds were present over 3 days and could be heard calling for most of the day.
Margaret and Richard Alcorn

Swift Parrot Bentleigh East
Just one Swiftie trailing a pod of Musk Lorikeets fairly high overhead in the afternoon. Slimmer, different voice to a Rainbow. long tail noted.
Lewis Hiller

Pied Butcherbird Hillview Estate Municipal Reserve, Bacchus Marsh
Heard the distinctive call of the Pied Butcherbird, even though I haven't see one anywhere near this part of Victoria. Quite approachable in some Grey Boxes in a farmer's paddock.
Bernie McRitchie

Black Falcon Little Desert National Park
One Black Falcon just at the start to the Stringybark Walk.
Michael Kearns & Steve Edwards

Sun 20 Apr Red-lored Whistler, Mallee Emuwren, Striated Grasswren, Spotted Nightjar Murray-Sunset National Park
On South Bore Track, we saw 4 or 5 Red-lored Whistlers, 2 Mallee Emuwrens and a Striated Grasswren. There were 4 or 5 Spotted Nightjars calling at night.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Little Eagle Altona, north of Cherry Lake
Little Eagle, light morph (from VLine train)
Glen White

Sat 19 Apr Striated Grasswren, Striped Honeyeater, Purple-gaped Honeyeater Murray-Sunset National Park
Still at the east end of Pheeneys Track between Underbool and Bambil South Tracks, we saw a pair of Striated Grasswrens, 2 Striped Honeyeater and 4 or 5 Purple-gaped Honeyeaters
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Flame Robin Merri Creek Trail, Fitzroy North to Coburg
1 male robin and 4 or 5 female robins seen on fence posts and bushes between the Merri Creek Trail and residential houses on Sahara Way, Fawkner (Melway Reference 18: A6) opposite Newlands Road.
Nick Koutoulis

Square-tailed Kite Drummond Flora and Fauna Reserve near Kyneton
Cruising around the edge of the bush just above tree line. Was here last year too but not seen for the 15 years before that.
Pat Mansbridge

Fri 18 Apr Malleefowl Murray-Sunset National Park
At the east end of Pheeneys Track, we saw a pair then later a single bird.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.