birding-aus

SE SA & SW Vic: Counters and sightings wanted for Red-tail Cocky Count

To: "" <>
Subject: SE SA & SW Vic: Counters and sightings wanted for Red-tail Cocky Count
From: colin trainor <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:19:00 +0930
                                        Counters and sightings wanted for
Red-tail Annual Count

http://birdlife.org.au/media/counters-and-sightings-wanted-for-red-tailed-black-cockatoo-annual-count/

        BirdLife Australia and the South-eastern Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo
Recovery Team are urging the public to get involved in this year’s
annual count for the endangered South-eastern Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo,
 which will be held on Saturday 3 May.

        “Each year we rely on a wonderful team of volunteers to help search for
 the cockatoos in stringybark habitats across their range in the South
East of South Australia and South West Victoria,” said Bronwyn Perryman,
 Project Coordinator of the Recovery Program.

        Volunteers who register for the count will be allocated an area in
stringybark forest, where they can drive along forest tracks and stop to
 listen for the birds’ distinctive calls. “We are also encouraging
landholders with stringybark on their property to join in the fun and
register to search their own land on the day,” continued Bronwyn.

        Search areas are scattered from Keith to Mount Gambier in South
Australia and Nelson to Little Desert National Park in Victoria. You can
 request a particular area to search when you register, or nominate to
search your own property.

        Our only recommendation is that you travel in a 4WD, as most sites
contain at least some sandy or muddy tracks, but if you are in a 2WD,
let us know when you register and we’ll find a suitable site for you.

        For those new to the count or would like some more information on how
to search for Red-tails we will again be holding an annual count
training session in Casterton on the morning of the count, starting at
9:00 am (local time) for a quick chat, followed by a short drive to a
spot where Red-tails have been seen recently.

        The success of the count relies heavily on sighting information we
receive in the lead up to the count. “We need as many sightings as
possible over the next three weeks so that we can strategically place
volunteers in areas where birds are currently known to be feeding. This
will help maximise the number of birds counted on Saturday 3 May.”

        If you see Red-tails from now on please report all sightings to 1800
262 062 or email

        Last year 1118 cockatoos were counted by our team of volunteers. “The
 Recovery Team values the incredible effort of all our volunteers, many
of whom return year after year from as far away as Melbourne and
Adelaide to search for the birds in their favourite haunts,” said
Bronwyn.

        Although we can’t guarantee you’ll see a Red-tail on the day, we’re
sure you’ll enjoy a fun day out in the bush searching for these
charismatic cockatoos.

        If you would like to register for the count please contact Bronwyn
Perryman on 1800 262 062 or email

                MEDIA CONTACT

        Bronwyn Perryman, BirdLife Australia’s South-eastern Red-tailed
Black-Cockatoo Recovery Project Coordinator

        T 0438 317 024            E