birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 14 Apr 2014 03:02:28 +1000

Birdline New South Wales

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Apr 2014.

Sun 13 Apr Leaden Flycatcher Heeley St, Paddington 2021
One female flitting between power lines and trees on west side of street at about 1600. Calling frequently.
Andrew Wood

Peregrine Falcon Castlereagh
This morning I observed a female Peregrine Falcon attempting to take down a Straw-necked Ibis. Got quite a few photos of the event from some distance away. The falcon didn't manage to make a kill. Note: sex determined from large size of falcon and it's comparable almost to the ibis in size.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Brolga 147 Levenstrath Rd. Levenstgrath near Grafton NSW
10.15am Two Brolga on edge of lagoon. Not often seen in this locality.
Warren Thompson

Sat 12 Apr Grey (White) Goshawk Kurrajong Hills
A white phase bird landed in a tall ironbark in our garden. The species is resident here, but this is my first white phase sighting locally. Also excellent views of Sugar Glider just after sunset - latest sighting since first seeing this species in garden earlier this year.
Eric Finley

White-headed Pigeon Exeter
4 White-headed Pigeons on power lines near the railway station 1pm. Most unexpected. They're rarely seen in the Southern Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

White Plumed Honeyeater, Little Eagle, Grey Goshawk Warriewood Wetlands
3 white plumed honeyeaters feeding on mahogany flowers next to the eastern water quality pond. Also a Grey Goshawk flying very low (below the canopy of the trees) next to the eastern water quality pond. A little Eagle flew about 2-3 metres above my house in warriewood. I have observed 2 little Eagles in warriewood about 10 times in the past 2-3 months.
Jayden Walsh

Fri 11 Apr Red Wattlebird Eulah Creek
During a recent trip into the Nandewar Range (Mount Kaputar NP) I could not find any Red Wattlebirds, possibly because there are no eucalypts in flower. Today a bird came to our property in the western foothills of the Nandewar Range, where our lemon-scented gumtrees are flowering (and also attracting Musk Lorikeets and Little Lorikeets). Eulah Creek is on the western edge of the species' range, where they are not seen every year. No photo today, but the bird's call was recorded ("Further information" link).
Michael Dahlem

Eastern Osprey, Australasian Shoveler, Azure Kingfisher, Spangled Drongo Deep Water Park Milperra
Single Eastern Osprey at the largest pond. Only about 1 km from where I saw one yesterday, so perhaps the same bird, but this time in Bankstown LGA. Also 3 Australasian Shovelers, an Azure Kingfisher and a Spangled Drongo
David James

Scarlet Robin, Spangled Drongo ANU Campus, Kioloa
First local record of these two species for the Milton Ulladulla Bird Club
Chris Shinton

Thu 10 Apr Red-tailed Tropicbird Off Sydney Heads
A dead adult Red-tailed Tropicbird found floating about two nautical miles due East off Sydney Heads. The carcase seemed reasonably fresh.
Darryl Smedley

Musk Lorikeet Belmont North
Approximately 50 Musk Lorikeets are now settled in my area feeding on callistemons in neighbouring yards and flowering eucalypt street trees.
Bill Boyd

White-headed Pigeon Strickland State Forest
A single White-headed Pigeon in clear view near the car park sat for some time for a few photos as well.
Lisa Abra/Grant McLeod

Little Friarbird Bundanoon township
Heard an unusual call for home late arvo, so rushed outside... a lone Little Friarbird was sitting in a neighbour's tree... very cool... I've never seen one in the Southern Highlands, Illawarra or Greater Sydney areas before.
Lorne Johnson

Eastern Osprey Voyager Point Wetlands
An Eastern Osprey fishing along Williams Creek between Voyager Point Wetlands and Lt Cantello Reserve (Hammondville, Liverpool LGA) was a big surprise. Not sure if it has been recorded in Liverpool before. My 16th raptor species (including falcons) for my patch along the Georges River around Milperra in just over a year here.
David James

Wed 9 Apr Rose Robin Caniaba, Lismore NSW
First sighting according with autumn dispersal to lowland forests. Probable imm. male foraging in canopy of brush box (but shown in ironbark) on eucalypt hillside. Also seen recently White-throated Gerygone, Varied Sittella (white-headed form) and small feeding parties of exclusively male Scarlet Honeyeaters, contrasting with the parties of juveniles and females reported on 25/3. White-headed Pigeon now sitting on egg.
paul griffin

Grey Goshawk Milperra
An adult female white morph Grey Goshawk was being well and truly mobbed at the former Riverlands Golf Course, Millperra, mid afternoon.
David James

Spangled Drongo Batehaven nr Batemans Bay
One Spangled Drongo on wires near shopping centre.
Marg Hamon & Maggie Mance

White-bellied Sea-Eagle North Narrabeen
I observed a single White-bellied Sea-Eagle soaring on thermals for 5-10 minutes whilst walking home this afternoon until it disappeared out of view.
Jayden Walsh

Pacific Baza Nurragingy Reserve Doonside
One bird perched in the northern woodland area. Also a colony of Bell Miners in the adjoining property to the west.
Brian Downer

Little Lorikeet Milperra
Several pairs of Little Lorikeets amongst the usual hoardes of Musk Lorikeets in urban trees in Milperra and around the former Riverlands Golfcourse
David James

Tue 8 Apr Plains-wanderer North of Wanganella
An adult male was observed with 4 young chicks while spotlighting on private property north of Wanganella.
David Parker

Square-tailed Kite Grey Goshawk Shoplands Rd Annangrove
Another Square-tailed Kite (adult) hunting amongst the gums along the ridgeline in the morning. In the afternoon an adult female Grey Goshawk was seen perched in the ironbarks around Annangrove Park.
Darryl Smedley

Regent Honeyeater Dunbogan, Camden Haven River
A big surprise among the park and riverside birding just seaward of the db boat shed . A bunch of Noisy Friarbirds stopped for a rest in a lemon scented gum making me look at the crowd. At the highest branch a Regent Honeyeater was in the view. Seemed to leave also with the Noisy Friarbirds heading northerly. Didn't detect any bands but wasn't good view of legs.
Duncan fowler, Carmen Ludcke, Madeline Sanders

Peregrine Falcon Cookamidgera SF
single male causing a large flock of Galahs (500+) to scatter with a lot of screeching but he didn't appear to be successful in catching one..
N.W. Schrader

Gilbert's Whistler Back Yamma SF
Same spot observed for the last 20 years, though only three pairs appear to remain in the forest.
Neville Schrader

Black Honeyeater 4km sw of Cookamidgera
6 males and at least 4 females feeding on blossoming Mugga Ironbark, along with a number of other honeyeaters like, Brown-headed, White-naped, Black-chinned, Fuscous and Little, Noisy Friarbirds, Little Lorikeets also present Musk Lorikeets and Superb Parrots. Large number of Silvereyes (50+) were also feeding on the flowers It is interesting to note there was no other concentration of species at Back Yamma SF or Cookamidgera SF even though Mugga Ironbarks were flowering.
Neville Schrader

Little Eagle McCarthy Rd. Coutts Crossing. 2460
11.00am. Dark morph. Two birds circling over ridge line between Orara River and McCarthy Rd. They left in a flat glide in a westerly direction toward the Poley Bridge over the Orara River.
Warren Thompson

Mon 7 Apr Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Southern Emuwren, Red-browed Treecreeper Lake Cathie, Port Macquarie
About 40 bird species in just under two hours, great business here lately. Glossy Black-Cockatoos seen on two mornings same time, Australian Owlet-Nightjar calling daytime, young Australian Koel fed by Little Wattlebirds, and much more
Duncan Fowler, Carmen Ludcke, Madeline Sanders

Common Noddy Brooms Head
3, possibly 4 Common Noddies at Brooms Head NSW north coast on Monday 4pm. Only other one seen during cyclonic weather early last year
Peter & Bev Morgan

White-throated Treecreeper, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Scarlet Robin, Rose Robin, Red-rumped Parrot Bundanoon
Intrigued to see a White-throated Treecreeper climbing up a railway underpass wall (Shangri la Rd) for two minutes, searching for food. I've seen WTTs inspecting telegraph poles for food, but never a sheer brick wall. It must've been channelling the Wallcreeper from Europe! Other birds of note in area: 8 Buff-rumped Thornbills, Scarlet Robin, Rose Robin (just returned), White-necked Heron, Little Black Cormorant, 2 Red-rumped Parrots (the first I've seen in Bundanoon).
Lorne Johnson

Sun 6 Apr Providence Petrel, Great-winged Petrel and Caspian Tern Mistral Point, Maroubra
Between the downpours, managed to see 1 Providence Petrel, 2 Black-browed Albatross, 30 Flesh-footed Shearwater, 5 Pomarine Jaegers, 1 Caspian Tern, 1 Kelp Gull and then towards dusk a Great-winged Petrel (undetermined type) came in.
David Mitford

Sat 5 Apr Bush Stone-Curlew residential property near Linton St Wharf, Davistown
A Bush Stone-curlew was found in a yard near Linton St Wharf, Davistown, possibly an immature bird going by its weight. It was taken into care by WIRES and held for two days, the bird appeared to be in reasonable condition. The bird was banded and released back into a nearby saltmarsh/bushland reserve on 7/4/14, after being well fed during its two days R&R.
Alan Morris

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Bar-shouldered Dove, Noisy Friarbird, Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
A great morning of birding up at Chiltern Trail. Highlights included 1 Chestnut-rumped Heathwren observed briefly on track, 6 Noisy Friarbirds, 3 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying over landing in a radita pine at the start of Chiltern Road and 10 Bar-shouldered Doves at the end of Chiltern Road past the trail entrance.
Jayden Walsh

Freckled Duck, Cattle Egret Corowa Sewage Ponds
A lone Freckled Duck noticed on the southern pond. Also a Cattle Egret seen which is an unusual birds around this area.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Fri 4 Apr South Polar Skua (Subject to submission to BARC) Lord Howe Island
1 pale-ish intermediate morph South Polar Skua halfway between LHI and Ball's Pyramid. Also White-bellied Storm-Petrels, Little Shearwater, Kermadec Petrels and a White-necked Petrel the following day. [Moderator's note (NH): Sightings of South Polar Skuas should be submitted to BARC]
Tobias Hayashi

Wed 2 Apr Freckled Duck, Baillon's Crake, Spotless Crake Penrith Sewage Treatment Plant
This very nice wetlands with two big islands in the middle of the ponds and a quite large path of cumbungi. Good selection of water birds including Freckled Duck (2). Australian Shoveler (4), Spotless Crake (1). Baillon's Crake (2), Royal spoonbill (4), I. Egret (1), Red-kneed Dotterel (3), Black-winged Stilt (1), Nankeen Night-heron (2), Swamp Harrier (1).
Ted Wnorowski

Sat 29 Mar Superb Parrot Private property, Grenfell
At least 100 Superb Parrots seen flying, perched in trees (flowering ironbarks) and feeding in adjacent paddocks
Elisabeth Karplus and members of Birding NSW

Pied Honeyeater Private Property, Grenfell
One male seen perched on transmission wires, Possibly a female seen earlier with male
Elisabeth and Tom Karplus

Fri 28 Mar Black Honeyeater Private property, Grenfell
Two male Black Honeyeaters feeding in flowering Ironbarks
Elisabeth Karplus, Allan Richards

Birdline New South Wales is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birdlife Southern NSW and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.