birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Rails

To: "" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Rails
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:43:14 +1100
Managed a short visit to WTP this evening on the way home from work. It may
be my last chance before the end of Summer Time, so I thought I should make
the most of it.

Highlights: Buff-banded Rail just after Beach Rd gate - it stood in the
track for about half a minute. My camera was in the boot.

Another birder I passed along the road between Paradise Rd and the hide
said he'd seen Lewin's and Buff-banded Rails from the road, and gave
directions. I stopped about 100m before the hide turnoff, and scoped across
the Little River. A Buff-banded appeared on cue, and a few minutes later I
had a couple of extended views of a Lewin's Rail through the scope. This
seems to be a good spot for them - along the muddy banks with good cover;
as well as the track into the hide.

There were a few hundred Red-necked Stints around the rocks just north-east
of the Beach Road boat ramp. No other migratory waders recorded.

Hundreds, probably thousands of Pink-eared Duck, and all the other regulars
in good numbers (didn't see Freckled). Several Great Egrets, and Great
Crested Grebe in a couple of ponds.

Few birds of prey in the farm itself - is was getting late, after all - but
one 100m stretch of Beach Road on the way in yielded Aust Hobby, Spotted
Harrier, Black-shouldered Kite, Black Kite and Brown Falcon.

This has to be one of the most enjoyable birding spots I've ever
experienced. We are very lucky to have it!

Russell Woodford
Geelong
And thanks to the birder in the white car who put me on to the rails!