birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 31 Mar 2014 03:03:32 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 30 Mar 2014.

Sun 30 Mar Banded Lapwing (26) Kempton
At least 26 birds in a rocky, dusty field by the Midland Hwy opposite Kempton. Caught a glimpse of these birds while driving past on Thursday but couldn't stop so came up for a better look today.
Paul Brooks

White-throated Needletail Sandy Bay
Single bird flying north at 1050 hrs. Warmish and quite humid with cloudy skies. Followed closely by two Dusky Woodswallows; first time I've recorded this species from my yard. Four more woodswallows seen flying north over Dynnyrne at the same time.
Paul Brooks

Swift Parrot Taroona Crescent, Taroona
Four birds flying over at 11.15 am, heading north.
Simon Grove

Fri 28 Mar Nankeen Night Heron Old Hospital Creek, Wynyard
Single bird flushed from riverine vegetation. Despite fortnightly visits by me these birds seem to show themselves only in the presence of 'The Night Heron Whisperer', Hazel Britton.
Richard Ashby, Hazel Britton

Possible Forty-spotted Pardalote University of Tasmania, Sandy Bay Campus
A work colleague, who has some interest in birds, reported seeing two Forty-spotted Pardalotes today at lunch time by the side of College Road, next to the CSIRO turn off. She passed my differentiation between immature Spotted Pardalote test. Upon investigation myself, although I didn't see or hear any, I did note that there is a small stand of E. viminalis amongst the blue gums at exactly this site.
Jeremy O'Wheel

Thu 27 Mar White-throated Needletail Five Mile Road, Flinders Island
Five or six birds swooping around overhead under low cloud following several hours of rain arising from a deep trough lingering over NE Tasmania.
Simon Grove

Tue 25 Mar Brown Falcon Gawler, south of Ulverstone
At least 21 Brown Falcons in ploughed paddock on hillside. Birds seen taking food from the ground, hovering and flying low, but mostly standing on the ground.
Hazel Britton and Alison Parks

Birdline Tasmania is hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.